The European Papers Jean Monnet Network (EP-JMN) is pleased to announce the launch of a Call for Papers in view of the upcoming EP-JMN Conference ‘Are the EU Member States Still Sovereign States Under International Law?’, to be held at the Sapienza University of Rome on December 15th and 16th, 2022.
The ‘flowing tide’ of EU law is increasingly affecting the prerogatives of the EU Member States as sovereign States under international law. This holds true both in domestic matters, where the European integration process is progressively eroding the alleged domaine réservé of the Member States, as well as in the external action, which is ever more constrained by the bulk of obligations stemming from EU law and by the EU’s activities in the international arena. Against this background, the call targets proposals for papers addressing the following question: ‘Are the EU Member States still sovereign states under international law?’.
The Scientific Committee welcomes proposals from both an international law and EU law perspective, on topics falling within the scope of the Conference and, in particular, within the macro-areas listed below:
1. EU and Member States in international law making: competition or cooperation?
2. Inter-state international law as an alternative to EU law in the process of European integration.
3. Domaine réservé of the Member States and limits from EU law (e.g.: attribution and withdrawal of citizenship, internal organisation of the judiciary).
4. EU and Member States in the maintenance of international peace and security.
5. The implementation of international law through the action of the EU and the Member States.
6. The outside looking in: the EU and the Member States regarded from an international law perspective.
Submission and selection process
Interested scholars should submit an English abstract (in the range of 700-1.200 words), together with a short bio or resumé, to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 5th, 2022. Please include your name, e-mail and affiliation along with the abstract. Successful applicants, who will be notified by e-mail by the end of September, are expected to provide a conference paper by November 25th, 2022 (max 10.000 words), to be finalised for publication after the Conference.
Publication plans will be communicated at a later stage, and may include publication in a Special Section of European Papers - A Journal on Law and Integration or in an edited volume with an international publisher.
Travel costs and accommodation
The EP-JMN will cover the travel costs and accommodation for successful applicants.
Contacts and information
The EP-JMN Rome Conference is organized by the Department of Legal and Economic Studies in cooperation with the School of Law of Sapienza University of Rome, in the framework of the Jean Monnet Network European Papers - A Journal on Law and Integration , and with the support of the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union (Project Reference: 610707-EPP-1-2019-1-ES-EPPJMO-NETWORK).